Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Comfort meets portability...Mac 'n' Cheese Bites (a recipe!)

Mac 'n' Cheese

a childhood favorite of just about most everyone

even someone from an Asian household like me.


I'm not a regular lover of cheese, especially as a younger child. Although I would eat Mac 'n Cheese as a child, it was never something I ever requested or went nuts for. Now, even though I have come to appreciate cheese and will eat certain cheeses, I mainly eat Mac 'n' Cheese for nostalgia purposes. However, Mac 'n' Cheese is something I make quite often. My brother loves it, and my SO can definitely live on just Mac 'n' Cheese.

The Mac 'n' Cheese I make like any good Mac 'n' Cheese requires a blend of cheeses. Mine, however, also starts with a base of a Bechamel sauce

I love this sauce and use it frequently in a lot of my dishes, especially when creaminess and pasta are involved. I think it is the perfect vehicle for a lot of things. Supposedly, it's a favorite of the French. They drench their grilled cheese sandwiches in it.

Also, I think this certain recipe needs the Bechamel sauce because we're going to bake it a second time and it'll hold shape but won't loose the cheesy-gooey-ness.

I won't write out a recipe for Mac 'n' Cheese since I think anyone who cooks know the basic recipe for a Mac 'n' Cheese. If you don't, well,

Mac 'n' Cheese Bites



- Preheat oven
- Follow the Bechamel "recipe"
- Over medium heat, add your favorite blend of cheeses
   - I like using Gouda, a sharp white cheddar, and either Parmesan for the saltiness or Mozzarella for the gooeyness
- Add cooked macaroni and stir until all cheeses melt and the right consistency is achieved
- Grease muffin or cupcake tins
- Spoon the Mac 'n' Cheese mixture into the tin
- Optional, topped with breadcrumb mixture or more cheese, like Mozzarella or American Cheddar.
- Baked at 375 degree for about 15 minutes.
- When done, let cool before fishing them out.


Bechamel Sauce


- butter melted over medium-low heat
- add flour STIR
- add milk and STIR
until a soft velvet consistency is achieved

Simple. I've been making this since I was 13. I actually didn't perfect it until much later on when I understand more about cooking.